Remember about a year ago when Jordan was OBSESSED with hedgehogs and just HAD to have one and then we ended up with Elliott about 2 weeks later? Ladies and gentlemen, it's happening again. But this time: English Bulldog puppies. A puppy. Much higher on the I-must-be-responsible-for-this-animal-because-it-will-die-without-me scale. I mean, most days I can barely feed myself let alone Jordan and a little hedgehog. And did I mention we live in a 4th floor walk-up apartment in NYC?
I feel like now is the appropriate moment to bring up that one time Jordan bought a puppy while we were dating and still in college. We had been dating about a week, when Jordan decided to take his sister to play with puppies out in the Utah boonies. You know, just for fun! (baaaaaaaad idea) Later that day I stopped by Jordan's apartment before work and walked in to find a puppy running around his kitchen. Like, he had just bought a dog. On a whim. TOTALLY NORMAL, RIGHT? (I may have started to reevaluate just how well I knew this guy I had just started dating) Long story short, the puppy went back 3 days later. Jordan is still convinced that he could have made it work, and I still nod my head and say "yes dear."
So over the weekend, we made a To Puppy or Not To Puppy list. Reasons not to get a dog include things like: dogs are expensive, we are taking several trips this summer, we live in a tiny apartment in NYC, we're not responsible enough human beings, etc. Reasons to get a puppy: it would be freaking adorable. So you know, there's that. We've both been switching sides about when and how we would get a dog, but I think I've firmly planted my stake in the "let's wait a year and see how things develop" ground while Jordan has continued to dream about their chunky little haunches while researching breeders in the area. Needless to say, I utter a little prayer every day that I come home to find just a little hedgehog and my husband. And no four-legged furry friend.
No comments:
Post a Comment