

Cake #3: Apple Cake (recipe from here)
Cake number three! I made this a couple weeks ago, but life has been crazy and I don't see it slowing down anytime soon. The holidays are coming, my birthday is coming (!!!), and Jordan is sick. Boo. Also, I may have done something crazy that will leave me with a whole lot less free time, but it could also be exactly what I've been looking for since moving here. Cryptic, huh? Oh well. Time will tell, then so will I.
Notes: Before finding this recipe on Smitten Kitchen, I would have never thought to put apples in a cake. Pie? Yes. Strudel? Of course. But cake? Seemed crazy, but everything Smitten Kitchen makes looks amazing so I thought it deserved a chance. The recipe says to make the cake in a tube pan, but I didn't have one, so I used a cheesecake pan. Pretty sure this is why the edges of my cake were overcooked. The cake baked for 1 1/2 hours as instructed and the inside was perfectly moist and done, but the edges turned out black. So next time, track down a tube pan. It was a pretty simple cake to make, and besides the apple chopping and lengthy baking time, quick as well.
Review: This cake is delicious warmed up just 20 seconds in the microwave and eaten for breakfast as a sort of coffee cake. The apples were perfectly spiced, and the cake was moist and flavorful. The outside edges were overcooked, but I just scooped out the warm insides and was more than satisfied. This cake is a perfect fall cake to make and a good way to use up all those apples you don't know what to do with.

No comments:
Post a Comment