Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Friends of the married variety


 Jordan and I don't have many married friends. We've only been married 5 months (!!!) and are moving across the country pretty soon so we haven't exactly made it our priority to make new friends. Shame on us, I know. But we still have our single friends, our soon-to-be-married friends, and our friends-on-missions friends, so we're doing okay.

And we have Elliott. So there's that.

But sometimes it's nice to hang out with another couple, you know? Girls get to have their own side conversation about girly things, like puppies and baking, and the guys get to talk about their manly things, like shaving and dirt. And that's why we always love getting our Sam and Emily fix. They're our very best married friends to hang out with!

What I love about hanging out with Sam and Emily is that we realize we do the exact same things as a married couple. It reassures me to know that we're not the only weirdo married couple out there.

For example:
Emily and I have a huge phobia of spiders and may possibly tend to exaggerate just how big they are when describing them to our husbands (only a bit, though!). Neither of us can even fathom the idea of smashing a spider with a shoe or tissue. Ew. Don't even go there. I have been known to use entire bottles of hairspray in attempts to kill the little devils and trap them under tupperware and leave them there for a good, solid week. Emily's been known to completely leave the house and drive to Sam's work until he's finished when there's an insect in the house. I totally get it. Our husbands, however, do not.

Then there's the matter of early mornings. Sam hates mornings. Jordan hates mornings. And boy, does Jordan HATE mornings. This past semester, I've turned into a bit of a morning person and anxiously wait for Jordan to wake up every morning. I'll play on my phone for a bit, read some blogs, make some breakfast, but then I'm just ready for him to be a man and wake up already! Daylight's burning! Sometimes I try and wake him up gently by kissing his cheek and whispering in his ear. Based on his reaction, you would have thought I had just put a gun up to his head and told him to kiss his playstation goodbye. But it's okay. I've learned in the last 5 months to not take it personally. In fact some days, I even find it endearing. Such a cute little grump.

Aaaaaaand the best similarity of all? They might, possibly, maybe, sort of be considering getting a hedgehog! YES! A little cousin for Elliott! We are crossing our fingers for them! 

1 comment:

  1. Ha ha! I love Jordan's reaction when he wakes up! Silly head.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...