Last week I made a little cake to bring to a new mother in the ward. I made a 6 inch chocolate cake layered with pink buttercream frosting. I have to confess two things: 1) the cake was from a box, so feel free to go ahead and judge me, and 2) I haven’t had a ton of friends have babies yet, so I’m kind of new to the whole what-to-bring-to-new-mothers- after-they’ve-had-a-baby thing. While trying to decide what I could make to bring over, Jordan pointed out that if I had just had a baby I would probably want cake. So that’s what I brought. Sure, a healthy dinner is probably more practical, but nobody's going to be mad at you for bringing over a cake, right?
I have made very few cakes this past year. Probably because if I make one, I’m going to be the one to eat it. Like, the whole cake. Jordan doesn’t really have a sweet tooth (and is possibly gluten intolerant, more on that later) and treats just sit there chilling on the kitchen counter, tempting me. But to me, cakes are more than just getting to eat them. Cakes mean celebration! They feel special and look so pretty. Honestly, I wouldn't mind not eating these as long as I could just sit and stare at them a bit. I know, I'm a weirdo.
I just want to make all the cakes. Sigh.
Below are a few pretty cakes that I've pinned and am currently drooling over:
Below are a few pretty cakes that I've pinned and am currently drooling over:
1) Nutella Banana Cake
2) Dark Chocolate Chiffon Cake with Rosewater Frosting
3) Chocolate Cloud Cake
2) Dark Chocolate Chiffon Cake with Rosewater Frosting
3) Chocolate Cloud Cake


I would certainly want cake and yours looks like the one that would interest me most.
ReplyDeleteThanks Dad :) I owe my chocolate devotion to you!
DeleteThat's a good point! And Clay is the same way. He takes FOREVER to eat desserts, so then I always end up eating it all and then he complains. Well it's his own fault for being so slow!
ReplyDeleteSeriously! I'm lucky if desserts last more than two days. It turns into breakfast, pre-dinner snack, post-dinner snack...haha
DeleteMmm. Cake. Is that your cake stand? It's gorgeous! I'm sure the mom loved some sweetness in her life! Good decision.
ReplyDeleteOh thanks :) and yep, that's our cake stand-- Jordan's mom gave it to us!
DeleteOkay, just found your blog. I LOVED the cake btw. It was the perfect thing to bring over to me as I was wishing I could make a cake for Alice's 1 week bday, but was too overwhelmed to do it. When you showed up with this cake I knew we'd be life long friends. ;) you're right. Who doesn't want cake? Weirdos that's who. But seriously. You guys need to come over for breakfast, lunch or dinner when these crazy holidays are over. You are both welcome anytime. And if you are bored during the day or whatever, text me because I have netflix too and am also just waiting for new eps of Nashville to come out. We might as well watch tv together. Haha! Anyway, thabks again for this cake. I don't care if it was from a box, it was so good and perfect!
ReplyDeleteOkay, just found your blog. I LOVED the cake btw. It was the perfect thing to bring over to me as I was wishing I could make a cake for Alice's 1 week bday, but was too overwhelmed to do it. When you showed up with this cake I knew we'd be life long friends. ;) you're right. Who doesn't want cake? Weirdos that's who. But seriously. You guys need to come over for breakfast, lunch or dinner when these crazy holidays are over. You are both welcome anytime. And if you are bored during the day or whatever, text me because I have netflix too and am also just waiting for new eps of Nashville to come out. We might as well watch tv together. Haha! Anyway, thabks again for this cake. I don't care if it was from a box, it was so good and perfect!
ReplyDelete