Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Little Things


I've noticed that different seasons of life bring with them specific themes. Sometimes it's have faith and things will work out or focus on what is truly important. Right now, the theme seems to be learning that little things can have a huge impact.

I often get fooled into thinking that I need something big, like the new iPhone or a holiday to celebrate, to feel like I'm getting the most out of life. Or, on the flip side, something as big as unemployment can cast a pretty overwhelming shadow over life for months on end. And while these big things definitely impact our lives, personally I've found that it's the little things that more often determine my happiness. And more importantly, it's the little things that I usually have the most control over.

Yesterday, I came home with what felt like a mountain of little things weighing me down.

I completely spaced an appointment.
I developed a migraine towards the end of work.
A mother and her screaming 6 year old entered the subway as I was headed home, worsening my migraine.
I unknowingly went over my data plan on my iPhone and was billed an additional charge.

On their own, none of these things are enough to warrant a bad day, but the combination had me feeling pretty lousy by the time I shuffled through my front door at night. I just wanted the day to be over and to start fresh the next day. Luckily for me though, the day wasn't completely wasted.

When I got home, I cooked a successful dinner (trust me, that is not always the case).
I sat down and enjoyed a cold diet coke.
Jordan prepared me a bubble bath complete with my favorite candle and book I'm currently reading.
I relaxed in bed while watching an episode of Grey's Anatomy.

Nothing to write home about, but these things completely turned my day around and I went to bed that night feeling relaxed and appreciative. I've always liked the quote, "Don't let a bad day make you feel like you have a bad life." Do something small to remind yourself about how great life really is.

I'm grateful for the little things.

3 comments:

  1. I really needed to read this today. Thanks Allison! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that quote "Don't let a bad day make you feel like you have a bad life". I've never heard it before. I definitely know that feeling!! Thanks for this message, Allison!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...