Wednesday, October 9, 2013
40 cakes: in 365 days
I've been craving a good project lately, one I can really sink my teeth into (punny). I have a lot of free time now that Jordan is in class at night and I've been finding myself on my couch watching Netflix night after night. Basically, I need something more to live for than new episodes of Nashville. I wanted to do something that would help me improve one of my skills, thus the idea of 40 Cakes was born. I love making cakes just as much as I like eating them, but can't say that I'm any sort of professional. Yet ;)
Starting this weekend, I am going to attempt to make 40 different cakes in 365 days. This averages out to be 3-4 cakes per month, and although that sounds a bit intimidating, I am so excited I can hardly wait to begin. I plan on making as many different kinds of cakes as possible: layer cakes, cheesecakes, ice cream cakes, pound cakes, fondant cakes. If you have a recipe that I should try, send it this way! My goal is that one year from now, I'll be a more skillful and diverse baker. So here we go.
One year.
One mint-colored Kitchenaid.
40 cakes.
Labels:
40 cakes
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Awesome. I made several cakes awhile ago in attempt to make a perfect fondant cake, but my problem was that it got expensive and we could never finish the cakes by ourselves before they went bad (they were big!). I never quite perfected it though so I'm going to keep it up eventually until I get it right. Good luck. Wish we could do it together. So fun.
ReplyDeleteI totally hear you. I think my plan is going to be to make mostly 6 inch cakes (which is typically half of a recipe for a 9 inch layer cake) to help lower the cost, and give them away to people so I'm not eating cake every day ;) I only plan on doing a couple of fondant cakes since I prefer non-fondant cakes, but I think it'd be fun/useful to know how to work with fondant. I wish we lived closer so we could make cakes together!
DeleteP.S. I miss your blog!
Yeah yeah yeah!
ReplyDeleteGreat idea. I'm excited for you...I need to perfect a skill. Sounds challenging and fulfilling. Can't wait to read about your cakes!
ReplyDeleteIncase you wanted to know, the lipstick I am wearing is Revlon and it's Kiss Me Coral #750. I really like the Revlon Super Lustrous series. I have several. I think they are pretty comparable to MAC. http://www.target.com/p/revlon-super-lustrous-lipstick/-/A-12290850#prodSlot=medium_1_1&term=revlon+lipstick
ReplyDelete