A beautiful desk, no?
So if yesterday's post was any indication, I've been just a tiny bit obsessed lately with how wonderful and magical books can be. They're so GREAT and FUN and I never want to do anything but read!
Okay, woah. Cool your jets there, Allison. Take a step back and just breathe. Nice and easy. They're just. books.
My over-enthusiasm caught my attention yesterday as I experienced a case of verbal vomit. No, not the fun kind, the kind that makes you want to pause, rewind, and try that scene again. One of the brokers I work with walked past my desk shortly after I got to work and asked how I was doing.
"Pretty good, thanks. How about you?"
"Doing well. Did you have a good night?"
And here's the part of the conversation where I thought, Say something interesting! Prove how awesome you are!
And so I ingeniously replied, "It was really good! I stayed at home and read a book all night! It was great!"
As soon as the words left my mouth, I wanted to die. I wanted a giant hole to appear that I could crawl into and die. Fortunately, the conversation ended there as a co-worker sent from heaven approached him with a question. I slowly turned back to my desk and carried on as if I hadn't just made myself out to be a complete social reject. Why didn't he ask me how my night was after I'd been in Brooklyn at an NPR taping? Or an art show?
You see, in my office, people are friendly, but they don't exactly share much about their personal life. It's taken me about a month to figure out who's even married in my office, let alone what they do after they leave work at night. I think some of them have kids? I don't really know!
On the plus side, I make so many stupid mistakes throughout the day being the new girl that I'm sure this mortifying exchange was hardly a blip on his radar. New girl sits at home all night surrounded by her 50 cats? Sounds about right. Now where's my coffee.
Well, you live and learn. Is that the appropriate cliche to use here? Sure. Let's go with that one.

No comments:
Post a Comment