I seriously love this picture of Elliott. He likes the warmth of the laptop and always gets so cozy as we work on our computers. And then he wakes up and walks all over the keyboard wreaking havoc on our screens. Good thing we love him.
Last week we had a scare concerning our little hedgie. We noticed last Wednesday that he had a puffy red bump right underneath one of his eyes. We weren't sure what to do so we decided to keep an eye on it to see if it worsened. The next day, the bump was even bigger and looked infected. I immediately started imagining the worst and convinced myself that it was a tumor. Hedgehogs are prone to developing cancer, and although Elliott came from a healthy cancer-free line, I started freaking out. I looked up pictures online of sick hedgehogs (here's a tip: don't do that. never a good idea) and prepared myself for the worst. I started reliving all the fun memories we've had together, cradling him on my chest, thinking that these could be our last days together. Looking back, I realize I may have overreacted a little, but at the time, I could hardly think straight! My little baby was dying!
Jordan was much more level-headed throughout the crisis and took him to a vet the following morning. To my immense relief, they fixed him right up. They cleaned up the infection and gave him some fruit-flavored antibiotics to take every night. (I'll admit, a hedgehog taking drugs is a tiny bit humerous...) (the medical bill however...don't ask.) He actually really likes taking his medicine. You squirt it through a little syringe into his mouth and he licks it all up. It's his daily treat, really.
Some friends came and took care of him while we were away over the weekend and we were happily surprised to see that his face looked so much better when we got home. His bump is nearly healed and he's back to being grumpy for no reason. So business as usual :)
I realize that I sometimes turn into a crazy lady when Elliott is involved, but until I have my own flesh-and-blood child, he takes the role of baby in my life. He's a part of the family, you know?
P.S. I'll get around to posting pictures from Boston one of these days... So many to sort through!
Poor little Elliott.
ReplyDeleteAww :) Our friends breed hedgehogs and I'm dying to get one!!! Elliott is such a cute name :) Glad he is alright.
ReplyDeletexo
summer