Or, the day that I walked 65 blocks home from work.
It's true. I was able to grab a bus to work yesterday morning which took over an hour instead of the usual 20 minute subway ride. I was less fortunate on the way home from work. The buses were overflowing due to the closed subways and bumper to bumper traffic. I considered waiting for a bus that had space available, but it didn't seem likely to happen. So I walked the 65 blocks home from midtown Manhattan to Harlem on the crowded sidewalks, filled with others making the same trek home.
I've only been in Manhattan for a couple of months now, but it feels like my home has been violated. Although the storm hasn't affected my life directly, I feel a great sense of loss throughout my community. Lives have been changed. My life has been changed. This week brought me much-needed perspective.
But perhaps this might also be a silver lining of the storm. Over this past week, I have felt closer to my neighbors, my co-workers, and even strangers on the street. We all have something in common now. Whereas before, "how are you?" was usually thrown out in passing, people now ask the same question with genuine interest and concern. People have offered their apartments, showers, cell phones, everything to those who have been uprooted. It's been a blessing for me to experience how a disaster can strengthen relationships and bring people together. And for that I am grateful.
So while we did nothing to actually celebrate Halloween (I'm not sure many people even remembered it was Halloween...), I'll always remember the experiences I had on October 31st, 2012.
I love your stories.
ReplyDeleteGosh I can't believe you guys are there in the middle of it!! When I imagine it, I always think of the numerous disaster movies that take place in New York City, and then I try to imagine those movies taking place where I lived this summer and the images don't connect. So. The point is: I can't believe you're pseudo-experiencing a disaster movie. Watch out for zombies.
Wow, so glad you guys are safe! Thinking of you here in Utah :)
ReplyDelete